THE STORY OF SPIRIT OF LIFE’S BEGINNING
The ministry of Spirit of Life Church traces its roots to a revival crusade organized in Kearney, Nebraska in July of 1929. Evangelist T.C. Newby was being used of God to impact cities and towns throughout western and central Nebraska. The evangelist had rented the Kearney Opera House where he hung his large oil-painted prophetic chart in the front of the building to attract attention. Crowds were attracted to this dynamic presentation of the gospel of Christ and soon a large tent was purchased for meetings that carried on through August. Many individuals came to know Christ as Savior, were healed, and filled with the Holy Spirit. From that move of God, a new Open Bible Church church was organized in August of that year. This church ministered faithfully to the city for nearly 67 years before closing and selling its property in the summer of 1996.
In September of that same year, Greg and Kathleen Mast felt a strong mandate from God to restart the church as a new Open Bible Church. It was given the name Spirit of Life. The first service was held in October and Spirit of Life soon had a growing group meeting at the Student Union on the campus of the University of Nebraska in Kearney. In October of 2000 the church rented facilities at Sunrise Middle School and continued to grow and see people touched by Christ. In September of 2002 Spirit of Life made its third move to Horizon middle school and met there for almost three years. We purchased property on Dove Hill Avenue for a permanent location for our church in 2003. Ground was broken and the first phase of our building project was started in the spring of 2004. On May 22, 2005, Spirit of Life Church held its first service on Dove Hill.